Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Healer

I've never really thought of God as "healer" before.


This summer I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It's really not as bad as it sounds. Google it, if you wish. I don't care. We've kind of known I've had it for quite some time now. Since my dad and his side of the family has a history for it, we always thought it was wise to make sure the doctors covered that ground in my yearly check-ups. Every year they said I had a low thyroid, but only this year did we finally find a doctor who acted upon it.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed. And scared. All sorts of information was thrust upon me and I got so overwhelmed, I basically felt like breaking down every day. I found myself having to decide if I wanted to take this type of medication or that, go down this path or that, stay with this doctor or the other one. Choices I never really foresaw me having to make. When I get really stressed out, my brain kind of shuts down and I need someone else to do the thinking for me. That time around, it was my mom.

So, we decided on a doctor and all of that good stuff and I started to take my medication. 3 pills daily, and an added bonus of vitamin D on Sundays! It gets annoying, but hey - it's the doctor's orders.

Really, I'm not trying to make a sob story out of all of this or anything. It's my blog so I can say what I want! But no, this is just another one of my realizations that I want to share. So here's how it all pulls together:

We are not who we are supposed to be.

At least, not fully. Here - on earth - we have many obstacles standing in our way between us and complete unity with God. Sickness is one of those obstacles. Every mere imbalance in our body was not intended to be there. One day it will all be restored.

He will wipe every tear from their eyes.
There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain,
for the old order of things has passed away.
revelation 21:4

I never thought of God as "healer" before, because I never really had a reason to. Now that I am coping with my stubborn thyroid, I have that reason. I had that "A-ha!" moment.

I believe God is fully capable to heal whatever is wrong with us, physically, emotionally, relationally, mentally, the list goes on. I also believe that he uses us exactly how we are.

So I guess the most important thing is not to sit around saying you can't do anything because of the different obstacles in your life, because we can't do anything out of our own strength.

I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me.
philippians 4:13

At all points in our life we need to be open to God's plan. This has become an increasing theme in my life recently. Wherever we are is where God needs us to be, even if we can't see the reason, and that's the hardest part - not seeing the end result. Since I've been in an artsy mood, I'm going to use an artsy example. If you watch a friend paint or draw you're probably just going to see squiggles in the early stages and won't be able to make sense of them.

Or when I'm filming, I have a vision of how it will end up and I know what shots I need to film so I can match them all up in the editing stages. My actors don't see that vision, though. I tell them what they need to know so they can do their part to the best of their ability. They can't see how it will all add up, where all the different strings lead to. I really love envisioning God as the director of my life. It's a total geek trip for me, being a film major and all, but it's just so true.

So anyways. I pray that we will all be willing and open for God to use us however this scene of our lives calls for. I also pray against the lies we hear from the Enemy telling us that we can't do anything because of our imbalances.

I believe in a God who heals.
Be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GIRRRL.
wow.
wow.
HOW DID YOU KNOW I NEEDED THAT SO MUCH!?!?!!?? and the sermon this sunday at citychurch was bout Jesus being the healer? your blog made me tear and my heart jump a little. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH NATACHA !!!!!!

Natacha B said...

I pick up on things. :)

When everything you were praying tonight sounded like it came straight from what I had written out here, I was like OK. I'm sending her this post.

I had this realization two TNWs ago so it was really cool that it was coming up again this week. :)