Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Thoughts of an almost-legal adult:

At twenty-one years of age, I know what it means to be loved.
I know what it means to come home to a family,
and I know what it means to leave.

I know what it means to be a frequent flyer
but I have no backyard tree to come home to,
no tire swing in the garden,
no wall with my height annually marked.

I know what it means to pay my own rent,
I know what it means to upkeep an apartment,
but I don't understand just barely getting by
because I know what it means to have a safety net at all times.

I know how to order textbooks,
but I've yet to learn to sell them back again.
I know what it means to care about a grade
but I don't know what it means to not have an education.

I don't know how to count my blessings,
but I do know how to take things for granted.

At twenty-one years of age, I know how to make friends,
but I'm learning how to keep them.
I don't know what relationships look like,
but my childhood friends are finding spouses.

I don't know what it means to be desperate,
I don't know how to ask for help,
I don't know what it means to be broken and on my knees,
but I'm learning. Oh, how I'm learning.

At twenty-one years of age, I can't identify with the loss others unjustly experience,
but I know how to listen and I know how to care.
Yet I don't know how to talk, and I can't look inside.

I know how to follow and I know how to lead,
I know how to give up and I know how to leave.
What I'm learning most now is how to stay put
and how to stay grounded no matter how long;
to keep my heels dug in the mud and not to let up
even when it goes against my self-preservation methods.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so great. I love this.